Saturday 28 August 2010

I wasn't expecting this...

What I am about to tell you is something that I really wish I didn't have to say, but it is something that is, unfortunately, inevitable. I didn't realise until just yesterday, when my internet connection at my new home went live, that my broadband speeds are in one word - Useless. I am getting an average of 100kbps download speeds TOPS which is bearable when casually browsing the internet, but for Second Life I have learned after these past couple of days that it is just terrible. I can't move, my groups won't load, all that WILL load is my surroundings, and that is all. This is on low, at a draw distance of 24. After coming to terms with this it has been a massive shock for me to realise that as long as I live where I am now, Second Life is just not an option any more. What was once a dream for me and a land of possibility is now completely out of reach, and it's probably quite obvious that I'm absolutely gutted. I had plans and I was so keen to learn as much as I could, blog frequently, open up a store eventually, but where I live in RL now it is just not possible.

In the end, I think it is not just me that finds that RL will naturally always come first over SL, sometimes when you want it to, sometimes when you don't. I have a lot in RL that I can replace SL with... In fact, some things that I should have been doing in RL originally I actually put aside so that I could spend time on SL, but there will be no more procrastinating now.
I am devastated that my time blogging was so, so short lived. I could carry on the blog with the slow broadband speeds, but I wouldn't be able to log in to SL, so what use would it be? Thankfully there are plenty of fantastic SL bloggers out there who will continue to showcase the fabulous creations of SL's residents for the public to see and therefore I wish them all the best. I never was the competitive kind anyway, my intention for blogging was as a fun hobby and it would have continued that way if the circumstances were different.

SL will always be special to me and I am sure one day I will be back if the UK's broadband coverage gets better or if I move again. I know there are some things I can do to improve my current connection, but I have been through a lot of potential solutions of which all have been unsuitable for my individual situation.

I am so sorry my little blog with so much potential and promise had to die a premature death.
I don't know what else I can say now, other than thank you SO MUCH for reading my past posts... I hope they provided some inspiration/entertainment for you, and I wish everybody who visited, faved my flickr pics, etc etc the very very best.

Thank you.

Fauna Florian <3

No comments:

Post a Comment